Hey there! Some links on this page are affiliate links along with other recommended products. If you choose to make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I greatly appreciate your support!

What is Zinc Poisoning?

Zinc Toxicity in Dogs

What Is Zinc Poisoning?

Zinc poisoning can be caused by a variety of household products, with the penny being one of the most common.

Zinc toxicity is not well understood, and the time interval between the administration and the beginning of clinical symptoms is not well understood, either.

Before symptoms manifest themselves fully, it is possible to eliminate the cause of the toxin through the stool or vomit.

Despite the fact that the release rate and effects of the toxin can vary depending on how much food is in the stomach at the time of ingestion, the pH of the stomach, and the length of time the toxin has been in the body, all incidents of zinc consumption should be treated as soon as possible after being discovered.

Because zinc toxicity has been linked to the death of many canines, it is critical that you take your furry family member to the veterinary clinic as soon as possible if you suspect zinc toxicity or notice any of the symptoms indicated below:

a lack of desire to eat (anorexia)

Pain in the abdomen





Mucous membranes that are pale


Urine with a reddish tint


Jaundice is a condition in which the body produces excessive amounts of yellow pigment (icterus)

Seizures and death are possible outcomes in the advanced stages of zinc poisoning.

Zinc Poisoning Has Several Potential Causes

In addition to irritating and corroding tissue, the zinc salts formed in the stomach as a result of zinc poisoning can also result in red blood cell abnormalities and interfere with renal function.

Despite its widespread prevalence, zinc poisoning is a very real and serious problem; the disease can develop from the consumption of as little as one penny of zinc.

Some household items that can cause Zinc Poisoning if licked or ingested:

Since 1983, the zinc content of the United States Lincoln penny has been 97.5 percent by weight.

Between 1997 and 2001, the Canadian penny was made of zinc, and some United Kingdom coins contain up to 25% zinc.

Zinc is found in a variety of paints.


Calamine lotion and zinc oxide cream are two of the most popular skincare products.

Supplements containing vitamins and minerals

Suppositories, antiseptics, and shampoos are among the items found in the average household medicine cabinet.

Fertilizers and fungicides are used in agriculture.

A wire that has been galvanized

Screws and nuts are two types of fasteners (as in plumbing supplies or as found on pet carriers or cages)

Some of the pieces from board games

Zipper pulls are a type of zipper pull.

Parts for automobiles

Zinc can be found in a variety of cookware and plumbing products.

Additionally, if a dog spends any amount of time in an industrial setting, he or she may develop toxicosis as a result of exposure to zinc dust.

While the symptoms of zinc poisoning aren’t always life threatening, they are very serious.

Symptoms, Treatment, and What You Must Always Do:

Remember this simple Golden Rule:

Get To The Vet As Quick As Possible!

If your dog has swallowed a significant amount of zinc, itmay develop convulsions and seizures, low blood pressure, and a metallic taste.

Symptoms of zinc poisoning can include a rash and convulsions. If you notice any of these symptoms, contact a medical professional for further evaluation.

The first step in treatment for zinc poisoning is to seek a veterinarian as soon as possible.

A veterinarian will perform a physical examination and perform blood tests to rule out other medical conditions. A urinalysis will detect any liver damage, jaundice, or dehydration. A full physical examination may reveal tachycardia, muscle weakness, and other symptoms.

An x-ray may be required to determine where the foreign object is located in the digestive system.

Your veterinarian will perform a physical examination and a blood test. Look for any signs of a reaction to zinc. If you see red mucous membranes or abdominal pain, you should get your pet to a vet.

Your veterinarian may order bloodwork and urine samples.

If the metal object was swallowed, he will need to have a liver biopsy and an x-ray of the internal organs.

Your veterinarian will conduct a complete examination and obtain a history of zinc ingestion. Your veterinarian will perform an x-ray to look for any metallic objects in your pet’s stomach.

He or she will also run routine blood tests to determine liver function and kidney function.

If a metal object is found, x-rays will be done to identify the object. If your dog has consumed a metal object, you’ll need to contact a veterinarian as soon as possible.

In severe cases, your veterinarian will recommend intravenous fluids and antibiotics. If your pet ingests a zinc-containing object, the veterinarian may order blood work and urinalysis to check for liver and kidney function.

Your pet may also undergo a procedure to remove the metal object. Your vet will also perform a full physical exam to determine what is causing the problem.

If your dog has swallowed a metal object, it will most likely be suffering from symptoms for a few days.

Initial symptoms include jaundice, a yellowish color that occurs when your dog ingests zinc. The bilirubin in your dog’s urine and stools may be orange. Other symptoms include heart problems, seizures, and dehydration.

If your dog has experienced a zinc toxicity, it is important to consult a veterinarian right away. You should also consult a specialist as soon as you suspect your dog may have a severe allergic reaction to zinc.

Your pet should be checked by a veterinarian if you suspect your pet has swallowed zinc. A veterinarian will examine the animal for signs of zinc toxicity and prescribe the appropriate treatment. If the zinc is found in a body part, it is usually absorbed into the bloodstream.

Your pet may also consume pennies and other metallic objects that contain the mineral. It is best to consult a veterinary before ingesting a metal object, as it is highly unlikely that you will be able to determine if your dog has become sick.

Symptoms of zinc toxicity include an increase in blood and urine levels. The symptoms of zinc toxicity are similar to those of zinc intoxication in humans. Nevertheless, it is important to see a veterinarian immediately.

Do not try to treat a zinc toxicity on your own. If you’re concerned about your dog’s health, he or she can recommend a course of treatment.

In severe cases of zinc toxicity, your veterinarian will perform a thorough physical examination. Your pet’s symptoms may include pale mucous membranes, a rapid heartbeat, and abdominal pain.

Depending on the severity and the time it takes for your dog to be treated, a good prognosis is possible. If your dog consumes a large amount of zinc, the symptoms of zinc poisoning may be mild or nonexistent.

If you notice any of these symptoms, the veterinarian may administer medications that help remove the metal object from the dog’s body.

While you may have experienced a reaction to zinc toxicity, you shouldn’t be alarmed. There are several symptoms of zinc toxicity that are similar to those of food poisoning.

Those symptoms may include dyspnea or airway inflammation after exposure to zinc. GI bleeding and dehydration may also occur after ingestion.

GI symptoms include lethargy, anemia, and dizziness.


Acute zinc poisoning in dogs is a rather common cause of poisoning in this species. When some forms of zinc are ingested by dogs, poisonous zinc salts are formed, which are harmful to them.

These salts are swiftly dispersed throughout the body, including the pancreas, bones, muscles, prostate, liver, kidneys, and other organs.

While zinc toxicosis has been observed most frequently in small breed dogs, all dogs are susceptible to the major hazards posed by the metal’s consumption, as has been demonstrated in humans.

Eusoh Cool
Running Low on Dog Food? - Shop Today & Save
error: Content is protected !!